CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE :RE: BDI : Parallel Port Setup

Deon Styger wrote:

> Paul Corner wrote:
>
> >BTW If the parport module is not loaded at boot time, the printer port will
>
> >not appear in the IO-ports list. Do a:-
>
> >insmod parport
> >dmesg
>
> >This should tell you if a port has been found, and at what address.
>
> Did that after removing the PCI card and setting the BIOS address for the
> parallel port to 378. Still no port found. This is strange as this port was
> working well with Windows. What does the parport module do anyway? Is it a
> kind of driver? Can it be that the port is functioning even though it is not
> detected?

Yes, it is possible. There are usually two things that can be set in the
BIOS setup, address, and port mode, ie. EPP, ECP, bidirectional PP, PS/2, etc.
For EMC, probably EPP, bidir PP, or unidirectional parallel port is best.

There is a parallel port diagnostic mode in EMC, that can be activated by
a menu, I think. (I'm not running BDI, so I don't have this.)

Deon Styger 2002-02-06 02:14:20 UTC RE :RE: BDI : Parallel Port Setup Jon Elson 2002-02-06 10:13:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE :RE: BDI : Parallel Port Setup