CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Heavy Iron

Posted by Drew Rogge
on 2002-02-06 13:27:19 UTC
I saw Robert's first article but decided that there wasn't
enough in Nuts & Volts to warrent subscribing to it.
I decided to give conversion of one of the Enco tables
a try and recently got the XY part working. Haven't decided
what I'm going to do for the Z axis yet. The electrics part
of the setup is servo motors from C&H Sales reduced 2:1, Gecko
G340 drives and a case/power supply from Dan Mauch. Current
software I'm using is TurboCNC on a puny 33Mhz 486. I can
get about 60IPM rapids from the setup. Milling is real funky
but I'm sure that is mostly caused by the fact that I'm using
50 year old Delta woodworking drillpress for the spindle. I'm
not too worried about the chuck falling of as it has a fair
bit of runout and I've been trying to remove it for a while
and haven't succeeded. I'm using the stock leadscrews and have
about .010" of backlash in the X and .005 in Y. If I ever
come up with a Z I may invest in upgrading to ballscrews or
fancier ACME screws. Dan Mauch was real helpfull regarding
mounting of the motors and such.

Drew

--
Drew Rogge
drew@...

Discussion Thread

ths992001 2002-02-06 08:25:55 UTC Heavy Iron Jon Elson 2002-02-06 10:22:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Heavy Iron hotaluminum 2002-02-06 11:36:05 UTC Re: Heavy Iron rcstickman 2002-02-06 12:21:12 UTC Re: Heavy Iron Drew Rogge 2002-02-06 13:27:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Heavy Iron