CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sevo and Encoder identifying

rainnea wrote:

> I'm just working out what servos to use with some Gecko 340s,
> I have a few old ones lying around which might be a start, however
> the jumble of leads on them is putting me off trying any.
>
> How do I tell if a motor is brush or brushless, ie. suitable for
> using with a Geckdrive ?

If it has 2 or 4 very obvious brush caps, the round black plastic studs
with screwdriver slots in them, that's a pretty clear indication it is
a brush motor. If no brush caps are visible, that does not guarantee
it is NOT a brush motor, though. Some have brushes that can only
be replaced by disassembling the motor, or removing an access
cover.

If it has a smaller section on one end, with perhaps, smaller brush caps,
that end is likely to be a DC tachometer. The Gecko does not need the
tach, but it won't hurt you.

> How would I identify the different leads emerging from an encoder, I
> have an oscilloscope, but am not skilled in using it.

Not easy, and the encoder won't produce any signals until it is powered.
You usually have to take them partly apart to trace connections. If there
is a big filter capacitor on the PC board, and it is polarized
(electrolytic)
then it tells you which are the power leads, and which one is the +.
Once you have the encoder powered up, then figuring out the leads
is pretty easy.

rainnea 2002-02-06 15:00:59 UTC Sevo and Encoder identifying ccs@m... 2002-02-06 15:08:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sevo and Encoder identifying Jon Elson 2002-02-06 21:41:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sevo and Encoder identifying rainnea 2002-02-07 00:27:16 UTC Re: Servo and Encoder identifying mariss92705 2002-02-07 07:25:26 UTC Re: Servo and Encoder identifying carlcnc 2002-02-07 08:00:04 UTC Re: Servo and Encoder identifying rainnea 2002-02-07 14:39:50 UTC Re: Servo and Encoder identifying Jon Elson 2002-02-07 21:39:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo and Encoder identifying