CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions

on 2002-02-10 13:09:26 UTC
Hi Russ,

The best of both worlds! Doing "work" in your hobby! And an
interesting project! The motion shouldn't be too bad, probably all you
need is linear motion. Does any of it need to be "fast" rates? If the
"bug" doesn't need to go fast, you might not even need acceleration
routines.

Being a HAM certainly brings interesting projects, and is also a good
start for young person IMO.

Good luck on your project, and feel free to contact me!

Alan KM6VV

Russ Revels wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have been confused with the steppers because the
> only ones I have on hand are geared and say something like 280 pps for 5 5/6
> rpm. The DRT table is actually for a Navy trainer. I was asked because of
> my interest in cnc to modify the existing tables and get rid of the gearing
> and stepping motors which are extremely expensive to replace. The table was
> manufactured in the early 50s and motors have to be specially built about
> $8500 ea and 6 month leadtime. I think I can remove all of the gearing and
> motors and connect steppers to the ends of the leadscrews and run the table
> directly from a pc. I will probably have special software for control since
> it will have to receive movement information via ethernet and then convert
> it into the required x y steps for the table. Actually the "bug" movement
> is pretty small under normal conditions. I will have a scale of 2000 yds/in
> for normal and 200 yds/in for special (manoverboard). I think I will
> contact Dan Mauch after I get home from travel next weekend and see about
> getting the parts to prototype this thing. I only need two axis but will
> buy three so I can use the parts on my router table when I am finished.
>
> Being the resident ham tinkerer gtot me into the task. I am looking forward
> to it because now I can work on something for me at the sametime I do the
> job.
>
> I work as a contractor for the navy and we do software and hardware
> modifications on navy trainers. This is for a bridge/cic trainer for junior
> officers.
>
> It is like a hobby job and since I make circuit boards and assemblies I get
> to play with all the toys.
>
> Thanks for the info Alan. I read the posts several times a day and am
> amazed at some of the things being done in home
> shops.
>
> I am looking forward to getting my setup going.
>
> Russ

Discussion Thread

Russ Revels 2002-02-09 13:39:20 UTC Stepper Motor steps and other questions Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-09 16:31:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions Russ Revels 2002-02-09 17:40:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions Mike Snodgrass 2002-02-10 12:40:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-10 13:09:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions JanRwl@A... 2002-02-10 15:48:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions Russ Revels 2002-02-16 19:51:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-17 10:55:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions