CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor steps and other questions

on 2002-02-17 10:55:29 UTC
Hi Russ,

Yes, the Gecko's can be connected (Step/dir) directly to a parallel
port, and driven by a "controller" program. 28V should work reliably,
although 40 or 50V (up to 80V) would be useful. Recall that the G201's
are microstepping, and will require 10x your required steps/sec, Easily
achieved. G210's have a multiplier board that allows the driver to work
at 10x, 5x, 2x and 1x rates of microstep, instead of just the 10x.

Your parallel port (4 bits needed for two motors) is your interface.
The controller software runs in an intensive loop to generate the
required steps to move the axis.

Another thought, if you want to offload this calc, is to use a pair of
CY525 stepper driver IC's,

http://www.controlchips.com/

Either parallel or serial "commands" are sent to the chips, and they
generate the requested step/dir pulses, complete with
acceleration/deceleration.

Otherwise, for the straight software approach, I'd suggest you
"register" and get Dave's TurboCNC (Pascal) code, and use it as a guide
to generating step/dir with a parallel port. Other programs are also
available with their source code.

One thing you might want to add to your interface is a pair of "home"
switches, so that you can zero the axis (relate the motor position to
the plotter board).

HTH

Alan KM6VV