CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belts vs ballscrews/rack-n-pinion

Posted by Les Watts
on 2002-02-10 18:54:18 UTC
Chris,

I have only read about the slotted thin metal bands... I never
used them. They seem to have great promise though... almost
like a metal timing belt. Might be some big wear issues.

As for the soft backlash on timing belts... a three pulley
setup (two idlers) to get more belt wrap would lower the
tooth deflection. The figures I gave were from Gates and assumed a 180
degree + wrap I would guess. They
recommend high wrap angles.

IMTS... ha. I moved here from Chicago a couple years ago.
I was up there a little while ago giving an engineering seminar on lowering
noise levels of portable power tools.
I liked the IMTS a lot... you will just have to settle for watching
hexapods and stuff.

Les

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture