CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book

on 2002-02-12 08:21:14 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "ballendo" <ballendo@y...> wrote:
> Hello,
> Bottom line is this. Greg Carmack has the right to decide Who can
> reprint the words in his book (unless he has given that right to
> somebody else). The best way to get a TOC for the list is to ASK
>the
> copyright holder. (Sorry John, "It will help advertise for them" is
> NOT covered under "fair use")

Ballendo and list,

I reread my post again and I must admit it reads different to what I
meant to say.
I actually meant to say that if the owner, in this case Greg Carmack,
was to publish the index pages then this may help sales.
What led me to post what I did was because I have heard and read of
instances where the copyright holder would not allow index pages to
be published because of copyright. ??? yes petty but true.

> Fair use is a grey area of the law, on purpose. Several factors are
> involved in determining whether something falls under fair use; but
> fair use is often ultimately determined by whether the copyright
> holder is/was "hurt" by the excerpt used, NOT the SIZE of the
excerpt
> (but smaller is generally better).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "stevenson_engineers" <machines@n...>
> wrote:
> > >--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> > > Anybody care to post a review of what this book contains? I
> > > mean, "glad I got it" or "well worth the money" are all & good
&
> > >tell
> > > me it had information usefull to you, but it doesn't tell me
what
> > >is
> > > in there that applies to what I'm doing. A copy of the contents
> > >page
> > > might be good, but might be a copyright problem. an
editorialized
> > > contents page, listing the subject and breif description of how
> > >that
> > > subject was covered would probably be safe. probably sell a few
> > >more
> > > books to.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Dale,
> > I fully agree with you. I can't see the problem with publishing a
> > contents page. I can't see how copyright can be an issue when
they
> > allow photos of book covers on Amazon etc. After all it's only a
> form
> > of advertising. People list features that appear in software or
> > book contents but won't allow the index pages to be published
> > for 'copyright' reasons. It's got to help sales.
> >
> > John S.

Discussion Thread

woodie122000 2002-02-08 19:10:26 UTC Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-08 19:30:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Greg Carmack's CNC Book yethdear0 2002-02-08 20:03:48 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book ballendo 2002-02-08 23:54:20 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book aspaguy 2002-02-09 12:47:36 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book stevenson_engineers 2002-02-09 15:01:14 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-09 15:46:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-09 16:23:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book ballendo 2002-02-12 01:53:37 UTC Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book stevenson_engineers 2002-02-12 08:21:14 UTC Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book