CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-02-12 01:53:37 UTC
Hello,

This falls under the umbrella of the "fair use" part of copyright
law. Here is a good copyright site:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

And here is part of that site which explains things which come up
from time to time (including some of the thoughts in this thread)

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/mirrors/faq/copyright/myths/part1

Bottom line is this. Greg Carmack has the right to decide Who can
reprint the words in his book (unless he has given that right to
somebody else). The best way to get a TOC for the list is to ASK the
copyright holder. (Sorry John, "It will help advertise for them" is
NOT covered under "fair use")

Ignoring copyright is easily a felony, under new law.

Fair use is a grey area of the law, on purpose. Several factors are
involved in determining whether something falls under fair use; but
fair use is often ultimately determined by whether the copyright
holder is/was "hurt" by the excerpt used, NOT the SIZE of the excerpt
(but smaller is generally better).

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "stevenson_engineers" <machines@n...>
wrote:
> >--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> > Anybody care to post a review of what this book contains? I
> > mean, "glad I got it" or "well worth the money" are all & good &
> >tell
> > me it had information usefull to you, but it doesn't tell me what
> >is
> > in there that applies to what I'm doing. A copy of the contents
> >page
> > might be good, but might be a copyright problem. an editorialized
> > contents page, listing the subject and breif description of how
> >that
> > subject was covered would probably be safe. probably sell a few
> >more
> > books to.
> > Thanks
>
> Dale,
> I fully agree with you. I can't see the problem with publishing a
> contents page. I can't see how copyright can be an issue when they
> allow photos of book covers on Amazon etc. After all it's only a
form
> of advertising. People list features that appear in software or
> book contents but won't allow the index pages to be published
> for 'copyright' reasons. It's got to help sales.
>
> John S.

Discussion Thread

woodie122000 2002-02-08 19:10:26 UTC Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-08 19:30:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Greg Carmack's CNC Book yethdear0 2002-02-08 20:03:48 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book ballendo 2002-02-08 23:54:20 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book aspaguy 2002-02-09 12:47:36 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book stevenson_engineers 2002-02-09 15:01:14 UTC Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-09 15:46:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book glee@i... 2002-02-09 16:23:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book ballendo 2002-02-12 01:53:37 UTC Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book stevenson_engineers 2002-02-12 08:21:14 UTC Fair use was Re: Greg Carmack's CNC Book