CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Feedback on BDI Parallel Port Set-up

Posted by rehenry
on 2002-02-12 13:01:50 UTC
Deon

These parport problems are the reason that I wrote the two little scripts
that can be accessed in the tkemc menu under scripts.

IO_Show will show you the condition of each of the pins on a single
parport. Select the address using the top buttons. If you get one of
the latest versions of this script from sourceforge you can even toggle
between pin definitions, address, pin number, signal name and such.

IO_Exercise will let you change values of output pins and you can see the
changes using a multimeter or led's. With this you can set the view to
eight pins of one parport while you change pin values on another. Nice
for testing stuff like bridgeportio where signals on one parport will
affect signals on the other.

IO_Exercise can also be run stand alone from the emc directory by
entering the command.

tcl/scripts/IO_Exercise.tcl.

Using it this way you can test out all of the pins on a parport using a
small resistor to jumper inputs to ground or a multimeter to watch pin
changes in response to settings. It may even teach you a little bit
about binary numbers and addresses by accident.

Try 'em. You'll like "em. And if you don't, tell me what needs to be
changed.

RayH -- U.P. Michigan

>    From: Deon Styger <deons@...>
> Subject: Feedback on BDI Parallel Port Set-up
>
> Hi all,
<S>
> I don't know enough about parallel ports (yet) to proceed further with
> the faultfinding. Any comments or suggestions?
>
> Deon Styger.

Discussion Thread

Deon Styger 2002-02-12 07:43:42 UTC Feedback on BDI Parallel Port Set-up rehenry 2002-02-12 13:01:50 UTC Re: Feedback on BDI Parallel Port Set-up