CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] problem with gecko 201 dirve and cncpro

on 2002-02-13 18:15:02 UTC
Scott -

If your motors have a shaft coming out of each end, you might want to put a
knob on the unused line and then set your motor running. Very gently touch
the knob and see if the motor seems smooth and not jerky. If you feel any
jerkiness at all, you are most likely losing steps because you're attempting
to run the motor too fast.

Can you switch the geckos into a half step mode (get 8000 steps /rev)? If so
do that and then program your controller to turn one revolution slowly (400
steps) Check whether or not the motor shaft makes a complete turn and
whether or not the table moves 0.050 inches. Then, move slowly and try for
an inch (8000 steps) The idea is to move the motor so slowly that you'll not
lose any steps just to verify that everything is working correctly.

Assuming that you can get an inch repeatably with half step, slow motion,
then try the same thing with the ten step microstepping mode. Again, work
slowly and just try to make one revolution. Now, if everything works
properly at slow speed, move back to "real speeds" and try the same
experiment, but try to put an oscilloscope on the step line. You're looking
for a smooth pulse train as the motors accelerate to speed, run at speed,
and then decelerate. With an XT machine, I'd be concerned that it simply
can't supply the pulse train and something's being lost.

Hope these suggestions help

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, so little time....