CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need Help with Stepper Power Supplies

Posted by rcstickman
on 2002-02-13 19:03:22 UTC
Check out this site. http://www.mendonet.com/cnclinks/

Run by Jon Hollcraft it has information on building cheap
powersupplys from Battery Chargers. Look under Library section.

He is also a very good source for Stepper Motors.

Alan Trest
Pensacola Florida

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "rsgoldner" <rgoldner@i...> wrote:
> I'm finding that a 40V to 60V 10A power supply for the steppers is
> not inexpensive (under about $70). Standard PC power supplies have
> 12V at about 10A available. I think it might be possible to connect
> 5 of these in series to get 60V at 10A. I can get PC supplies for
> about $5. Is this a good idea?
>
> I checked two PC supplies that I have. On one the 12V ground is
> connected to the chassis. On the other one it's not. Since the
> ground wire from the AC cord is also connected to the chassis, I
> can't put multiple supplies in series if they have the 12V ground
on
> the chassis as that would short them out. Can the 12V ground be
> safely removed from the chassis?
>
> I have also looked at building my own linear power supply, but an
> appropriate transformer (40V 10 or more amps) is very expensive.
> Short of rewinding a microwave transformer does anyone have any
> other ideas?
>
> I know it sounds cheap to try to get away with spending $25 on a
> power supply, but after I buy the steppers, the drives and the
> material to build motor mounts there's not much money left.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion Thread

rsgoldner 2002-02-13 18:50:36 UTC Need Help with Stepper Power Supplies rcstickman 2002-02-13 19:03:22 UTC Re: Need Help with Stepper Power Supplies