CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: servo mill for possible conversion

on 1999-11-23 16:49:08 UTC
The Excello is a good machine - heavier than a Bridgeport. The one listed
is a 2-1/2 axis machine and would be quite expensive to convert to full Z
axis control. However, most of the NC machines used in tech schools get
practically no use because a) the instructor is afraid of letting students
wreck it and b) the instructor is afraid of having to pay $115 an hour to
have a repairman come fix the control each time it breaks down. Thus,
someone will probably be getting a nearly new machine.

My guess is step motors (X&Y), probably Slo-Syn and coupled directly to the
ballscrews. Most of these older NC knee mills were factory retrofits of
manual machines and many of them had substantially less travel on the X axis
than their manual counterparts. Looking at the pictures I would say the
machine is early to mid-70's, as step motors and tape drives were common at
that time. The machine likely cost the school about $40K new.

This machine looks like a good buy. Count on scrapping the controller and
investing into a Z axis ballscrew.

Doug Harrison

Discussion Thread

David M. Munro 1999-11-23 10:03:28 UTC servo mill for possible conversion Jon Elson 1999-11-23 12:37:22 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion Matt Shaver 1999-11-23 14:56:38 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion Darrell 1999-11-23 15:17:15 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion Jon Anderson 1999-11-23 15:27:51 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion Steve Carlisle 1999-11-23 17:18:49 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion Harrison, Doug 1999-11-23 16:49:08 UTC RE: servo mill for possible conversion David M. Munro 1999-11-23 17:04:39 UTC RE: servo mill for possible conversion Jon Elson 1999-11-23 23:34:04 UTC Re: servo mill for possible conversion