CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

IBM Keyboard Repeat.

Posted by J. Craswell
on 2002-02-19 14:18:23 UTC
Hi Jerry, Mike and all.

I'm a new guy to this forum so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.
The problem is that the IBM designers made the Keyboard autorepeat in hardware.
There is an actual CPU in the keyboard sending out this rubbish. What would be better
is a simply matrix and allow the program to do repeats if needed, and at what speed you
want allowing ramping up etc. In my opinion it's one of the things (many) done wrong in the PC.

Intro:
I was in this biz a short time ago. My last project was building up a commercial product
8051 / standalone system using the Gecko which I see talked a lot about here.
Wow what a neat little device. Before that it was Durants and way before that it was stepper
motors. I'm frankly amazed at the concept of Hobby use of this sort of equipment. I write articles
(I know - Hard to believe) for Magazines, have been in two books, I do hardware design and write
software. I'm a big fan of Assembler Language. I tinker a lot with Ham Radio and like to build
gadgets. And while this might not be the place for it "I'm available for contract design!" <grin>

As to this home CNC? Bravo to you guys for your D.I.Y. Spirit (D.o I.t Y.ourself)

Jay a.k.a. W0VNE

http://www.dover.netfirms.com/

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Carol & Jerry Jankura"
<jerry.jankura@s...> wrote:
> Isn't there a BIOS call that allows you to change the typematic
rate, and
> also the time between when the key is pressed and the typematic
starts? This
> could be useful for the jog feature using a set of keys. I'm going
to have
> to dig up my old DOS literature and start looking for things.
>
> -- Jerry
>
> |Hi Mike,
> |
> |The problem with "keyboard jogs" is if the "repeat" function of the
> |keyboard is used, it repeats at a rate that is not very useable.
> |Hopefully the controller program "traps" the raw keydown and keyup
> |codes from the keyboard, and does not rely on the "getch()" type of
> |keyboard function. This way, a key that is still down, can be
used to
> |"stretch" a jog into a continuous move.
> |
> |Alan KM6VV

J. Craswell 2002-02-19 14:18:23 UTC IBM Keyboard Repeat. Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-02-19 14:35:05 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IBM Keyboard Repeat.