CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books

on 2002-02-24 09:45:13 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Guy Sirois" <guys@w...> wrote:
> Hi Ballendo,
>
> I am curious too as to how the price of technical books is
>determined.
> Is it mostly decided by the publisher or is the author has
>something to say
> in this?
>
> Seeing the outrageous prices of some industrial subjects books
>lately, I'm a
> bit nervous.

I can't comment for the USA but in the UK if you have one printed and
the publisher takes all cost onboard and set print runs, price,
distribution etc. then the author gets 10% of cover price paid
anually.
To keep on topic this covers the range of home shop books sold at
PRIME etc.

If you want to take the lot onboard yourselves then you pay print
costs. This can be kept down by supplying everything on disk in a
laid out standard. Obviously the more you have printed the less you
pay. As a UK guide our 200 page manuals cost us 1500 UKP for the
first 500 and 120 UKP per 100 after this.
Now again to keep on topic you can see why people are going to on
line help with program such as Dolphin and Vector.
They have to do exactly the same amount of work to produce the help
files but then have to pay printing and distribution costs.

John S.

Discussion Thread

Smoke 2002-02-23 09:54:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books ballendo 2002-02-23 14:59:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books John H. 2002-02-23 16:51:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books Guy Sirois 2002-02-24 08:58:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books stevenson_engineers 2002-02-24 09:45:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Books