CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam

Posted by Glen
on 2002-02-24 10:10:27 UTC
Even turning out something as dull as a square pocket can be fun. You'd be
surprised how many people I talk to that'll hate whatever they're using until
they understand how to do this very part, then it seems like 'Oh, this really
did save me some time, maybe I'll learn how to use it'. After all, a CAD/CAM
system is a 'tool', and not a 'toy', and should be treated as such. A lot of
people forget that. If it happens to make pretty pictures along the way,
that's cool, but most of them aren't worthy of a screenshot ;)

Glen

On Saturday 23 February 2002 11:15, you wrote:
> hello;
>
> i thought more about this late last night and again this
> morning. i have come to the conclusion that the reason it
> is so difficult to find helpers particularly good helpers
> is that cad/cam is perceived as not being 'glitzy' enough.
> it has no 'sex appeal'. it is perceived as being an "old"
> technology. when i explain it to potential helpers i would
> be willing to bet that they have visions of a dimly lighted
> dirty oily factory with people standing around battleship
> gray machines churning out a non-descript part. they may also
> have the image of that student in high school who took
> industrial arts instead of other classes and was looked down
> on. (industrial arts in high schools has a bad image.)
>
> in their mind raytracing has glitz and sex appeal. they have
> the perception of a graphic artist sitting in an art deco
> office or cube designing these real cool looking movie posters.
> they want to help on something that would produce a 'toy story'
> or 'shreik' movie. they do not want to work on something so
> someone somewhere may produce thousands of non-descript widgets.
>
> so the question is:
> how do you present cad/cam has having glitz and sex appeal?
> that making thousands of non-descript widgets is actually fun
> and not boring.
>
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Jon Elson wrote:
>
> "Terry L. Ridder" wrote:
> terrylr>
> terrylr> hello;
> terrylr>
> terrylr> gnu cad/cam has not died, since i am still very much alive.
> terrylr> there is only a single person working on it, me.
> terrylr>
>
> jon>
> jon> Good to hear it (and you) are still alive. It might help if you can
> jon> come up with a partner over the net. Sometimes it really helps
> jon> to have somebody who is good at things that you are not so
> jon> expert at.
> jon>
> jon> Jon
> jon>

Discussion Thread

Glen 2002-02-22 10:45:11 UTC GNU cad/cam Terry L. Ridder 2002-02-22 11:21:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Jon Elson 2002-02-22 21:53:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Jon Elson 2002-02-22 22:22:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Terry L. Ridder 2002-02-22 23:10:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Terry L. Ridder 2002-02-23 07:36:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Glen 2002-02-24 10:10:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam Gary Wheeler 2002-02-25 01:05:04 UTC Re: GNU cad/cam Scot Rogers 2002-02-27 21:08:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam John Schwab 2002-02-27 22:07:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GNU cad/cam