CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digest Number 2112

Posted by scyvt
on 2002-02-27 03:30:41 UTC
Ray, Dan

These offhand references to the utility of Macintoshes in a cnc
setting are very heartening to those of us preferring that platform
(asssuming that I am not the only such on the list).

Reading between the lines, it seems that this is possible due to the
Cube running Mac OsX (based on BSD Unix) - at least as far as the
black/white box application is concerned, i.e. this could not have
been done under Os9 or earlier. Is that correct? And do I understand
correctly that with only minor modifications many, if not most, Unix
apps will run on Macs with OsX? If so, is there a pile of cnc-related
software existing in the Unix world that could now be tapped into?

Regarding the "great cad programs" that you say will run on the Cube
directly, are you thinking of Mac apps or Unix apps? Would you care
to name names? (I am using MiniCad7, but its getting a litle old- maybe
time to upgrade soon)

TIA,
Steve Clay-Young

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., rehenry <rehenry@u...> wrote:

> A nice feature of Dan's approach is that you can use a single
>computer like the cube to control an entire work cell.... The
> cube will run some great cad programs directly.

Discussion Thread

rehenry 2002-02-26 13:29:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2112 Ian W. Wright 2002-02-27 01:55:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 2112 scyvt 2002-02-27 03:30:41 UTC Re: Digest Number 2112