CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Controllers-the missing link

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-02-28 20:24:47 UTC
Jay,
By the looks of your list, you are well on your way to making things happen.

Your concerns about not understanding a "controller" will come out in the end
too.

I use FlashCut, and have for some time. I have also used Indexer LPT,
Ah-ha, MicroKinetics, Extratech and just about all of the freeware and
shareware demos. I stick with the FlashCut because it really has turned out
to be a no brainer to use and set up.

Even using the same FlashCut control for various machines allows for real
easy machine "configurations". Their use of the Serial port means that you
can use any computer for it, even an older laptop. I have not noticed any
"control", "speed" or "continuous contouring" changes by going from lowly
P100 to a P500, so even older computers will work great. (redraw time is the
only thing that gets faster) The interface is extremely intuative, and it
does what I need. I have 3 machines with it, 1 plasma and 2 Routers. Soon I
hope to have an engraver with it as a control. Some have indicated that the
price has been a bit higher for the hobby guy, but it just might be the
"price one pays" to get FlashCuts "full service" type support AND a product
that "works" without wrestling with it.

Two issues in the past have come up for some individuals. First, FlashCuts 16
bit version does not have Radius Compensation. I've never really missed it
because I allow my Cam program to create the toolpaths according to the bit
"I know" I will be using. Some have found it necessary though when using
"re-grinds" or resharpened tools in order to compensate for whatever tool
they end up using. The second issue (or complaint) was lack of "speed"
capability due to low "steps per second" output to the motor
amplifier/drivers. That "speed issue" is long gone with the advent of
FlashCuts newer Chip in the Black Box. I was lucky enough to be able to test
one out and it has made a world of difference !

You indicate "costs" are a concern and they have been for all of us going
down the road your on..... This is not a cheap hobby by any means, but it
sure is fun. You will spend more than you think, but in the end you will find
the whole experience well worth it. While everyone else around you thinks
sending "greeting cards" via e-mail is really cool, you will "one up" them
with your machine !

In two weeks, The Design Engineering Show comes to Chicago. FlashCut will be
there and I hope to catch a glimpse of their newest 32 bit version of
Controller Software. I have a hunch they will have something at the show to
"wow" the crowd.

There certainly are other controls that have shown up in the hobby market.
The operational capabilities of them have been reported here in this group.
Many are quite inexpensive as they are works in progress by hobbiests who are
far more knowledgable than I am. Much good has been said about some of those
controls. You would need to search back to see what has been discussed. There
are even some in this group that have hinted that they are personally
developing a "Controller" to offer in the very near future so watch for them.

So, your "list" below is pretty accurate and your headed the right
direction..... Well, I'd flip that list upside down I guess:

First, a PC with a Cad program to draw things you want to make, and a Cam
program to create the toolpaths. (simple txt files really)

Now, if the first PC has a network card in it, then you really should have
another PC to run the Controller software. Then you can "send" those
toolpaths from the first PC's hardrive to the second PC's hardrive. This way
you can "draw" on the first PC while the second one is "making chips".
Otherwise, you'll just have to stand around while your PC is done acting as a
control so you can "draw" or even "e-mail grandma" again. (btw, flashcut
toggles back and forth without any balking)

This second PC is then sending >"signals" out in some fashion, be it thru a
Serial Port, Parallel Port or even a dedicated ISA card to your Step Motor
Drivers.

The Step Motor Drivers receive the "signals" and "interpret" them. This
"interpretation" links the power from that unregulated DC power Supply >to
the Stepper motors. This is where that big power supplys "Amps" and "Volts"
get put to good use, running the motors accordingly to the direction and
speed dictated by the "Controller" sending the original "signals" out.

This all of course ties in with the fact that your "hardware" will need to be
bolted to that Smithy so it "moves around in X-Y-Z !"

The quest for the "perfect" control is still underway. No one seems to be
able to make everyone totally happy. If your like most of us, you will buy
one or two controls before you settle in with one you really like. My "settle
in" came in the form of FlashCut.

Possibly, the "perfect" control is going to be in Chicago in a few weeks
??? I could only hope.

Keep the group up to date on your progress,

Chris L
Data-Cut

P.S. I would recommend that individuals who are starting to build a machine
or retrofitting an existing one, purchase their "CNC Controller" package
LAST. There are so many things going on in this area and you'd hate to have
one that was a year old when you finally were done with the hardware portion
of the project !