CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Retrofit of Smithy 1324 CNC

Posted by methadras
on 2002-03-06 09:50:22 UTC
if you are looking to get your hands on some new steppers then i
think pacific scientific has the best bang for the buck... just to
give you an example... i just bought 3 nema 34 stepping motors with a
holding torque of 1850 oz.-in. for less then $300 a piece... that's
not a bad deal, so you could imagine what steppers for your smithy
will cost...

> I would say that for $3125 you should be able to convert your
Smithy to CNC
> and put about $2000 into the bank for future tooling. You can make
the
> mounts for the stepper motors, buy the drivers from Gecko or
Camtronics,
> build a power supply and wire it up. For control software use EMC,
CNCpro,
> DeskNC, DeskNCrt, Master5, DeskWinNC, TurboCNC or what ever else
appeals to
> you. Don't get me wrong, FlashCut is a nice package, but it
currently does
> not support all G or M codes and you are limited to the FlashCut
control
> software. There are several packages that convert DCF files to G-
code or
> will output G-code directly from the CAD/CAM system. You might
want to look
> at Vector for this capability. Bottom line, you can do this for a
lot less
> than $3125 and have a better system IMHO. I did my own conversion
using
> Camtronics drivers and EMC for control software and the total cost
was under
> $400.00. This was for a small machine but the only real cost
difference
> would be in the size of the steppers needed for the Smithy.
>
> John Guenther
> Sterling, Virginia

Win