CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2002-03-10 06:27:28 UTC
Deskncrt will not operate stepper motors reliably under windows you must
use dos. Emc work with a Linux operating system. If you want to run
under windows then I would suggest Deskwinnc that uses the EMC G code
engine or Mater5 but neither of these use encoder feedback.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: terry twombly [mailto:ttwombly@...]
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 7:09 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows

Yes I am new to this group and this a long note but I need a lot of
help. Thank you all in advance.

With out giving a lot of background I have building a CNC mill for
the past two years. It is step and direction and I have it running
with CNC PRO. After getting it running I decided it would be more
accurate with an encoder feed back system. I went on line and found
out that I could do this with one of Dan Mauch DRO kits using either
EMC or DeskNCrt to control it, I have the encoders setup the DRO kit
is waiting for me to setup the computer with the control software.

I now have EMC for Linux on a computer spent many hours getting this
far. I am wondering, what am I doing. Has anyone out there done what
I am doing? I am thinking of changing to Windows (I know it is slower
dose not do what Linux can do but I KNOW HOW TO USE IT)

Has anyone set up EMC for Windows, or Deskncrt and had any
success I would change from this Linux thing in about two seconds if
you can tell me that it works. I do not need speed I need it to be
working accurately. What I want to do with the mill, is all hobby
stuff and after spending five hours looking around the Linux GUI, I
still can not find out how to set up EMC. I know that Linux will
control in real time and has many great features but HOW LONG before
I can have it milling???????? I am old enough that I want to work on
my hobby now, not when I get to be a real old man.

Terry Twombly

Discussion Thread

terry twombly 2002-03-09 20:37:58 UTC EMC Linux vs Windows Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-03-09 22:07:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows Paul 2002-03-10 05:11:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows Dan Mauch 2002-03-10 06:27:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows Gail & Bryan Harries 2002-03-10 07:26:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Linux vs Windows