CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC - Tuning Stepper rates?

Posted by rehenry
on 2002-03-11 08:43:58 UTC
Hey Art congrats. One more for the intreped!

MAX_STEPS_PER_SECOND never entered the thinking during the development of
the EMC back in 90. They were using servos and running a big K&T mill.
They thought in terms of MAX_VELOCITY in units per second as the relevant
speed limiter. When steps came along, rather than changing what had
already been done, they simply let you compute it for yourself.

Take your variable and divide by the OUTPUT_SCALE for your device and
enter the result in MAX_VELOCITY.

50 for a value here would mean that my little griz would move end to end
in X in about a half hour. If this is the limit for the number of steps
your device can follow you might try backing off acceleration and see if
you can get more speed than that.

HTH

Ray

>    From: "snuckleton" <snuckleton@...>
> Subject: EMC - Tuning Stepper rates?
>
> I have EMC running on a Linux machine and I
> am successfully moving my x axis stepper.
>
> But the step rate is too high for the motor.  In emc.ini,
> I see I can set things like the default velocity, max velocity but
> I don't see anything about limiting the step rate (like
> MAX_STEPS_PER_SECOND = 50)

> Does anyone know of a good tutorial on tuning these parameters
> for particular stepping motors?
>
> Thanks,
> Art

Discussion Thread

snuckleton 2002-03-10 17:23:56 UTC EMC - Tuning Stepper rates? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-10 21:21:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC - Tuning Stepper rates? Jon Elson 2002-03-10 23:05:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC - Tuning Stepper rates? rehenry 2002-03-11 08:43:58 UTC Re: EMC - Tuning Stepper rates?