CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Linear servos

Ken Jenkins wrote:

> We have a machine at work which is used to reposition a foil path
> in a printing transfer operation. I helped design it a few years
> back and it uses a linear servo. They're pretty expensive/ft but no
> worries about leadscrews or backlash and plenty fast and strong.
> Anyone ever seen one of these animals applied to CNC?

Some of the newer, light load (ie. EDM graphite electrode machining)
and high speed machining systems have them. They talk about 1000
IPM as the very beginning of practicality for these (price wise).
A really big one is at Six Flags over Mid America, where it launches their
Mr. Freeze roller coaster to 60 MPH in a couple of seconds.

Ken Jenkins 2002-03-15 20:09:44 UTC Re: Linear servos Jon Elson 2002-03-17 16:11:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Linear servos