CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supplies help...

Posted by n4onl
on 2002-03-18 18:19:55 UTC
The negative lead, post, ect. of many power supplies are connected to
their chassis. So is the ground wire for the 110vac power cord. If
the chassis are isolated from each other they may still be connected
thru the power cord, shorting out one power supply. If the the
negative lead is isolated and they are put in series the voltage
would double and the current would stay as rated. This is of course
for Transformer power supplies. Switching power supplies connected in
series would let the smoke out, blow fuses, ect.

Why not disconnect the regulator sections and get power straight from
the filter capicitors? This would increase your voltage output even
more, approx. 5 to 10 volts per power supply, and more than likely
isolate the grounds.

mike