CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad

Posted by Gary Passon
on 1999-12-07 18:33:38 UTC
Thank you Fred... that was incredibly informative and straight forward to understand.

One more question. If I created the part in Velum Solids as a surfaced part and then saved it as a IGES file to you think either of these programs could read the result in and be able to process it??

GaryPasson

imserv@... wrote:

> From: imserv@...
>
> > Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 07:39:19 -0800
> > From: Gary Passon <gary@...
> >Subject: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad
> >
> >Fred, I'm also interested in doing a propellor blade and was pondering
> >how. Please give us a quick tutorial on Vector's capability in this area.
> >
> >GaryP
>
> Gary, Both Vector and Bobcad have a function called the "Skin" It is also available in some other Cad-Cam software, where it is sometimes known as a Coon's Patch surface.
>
> The surface is defined by a series of generally left to right and top to bottom
> cross sections. I call this pattern a quilt square effect. Like a quilt it can have an infinitely variable 3D shape, but the quilt squares ALWAYS retain boundaries on four sides, and always retain a perfect intersection at each of the 4 corners. The skin function generates a back and forth,3D (X-Y-Z coordinates for each move) tool path, properly compensated in 3d for the radius of a Ball or Bull nose cutter.
>
> In the case of a propellor (or airplane wing, turbine blade), you would define
> the airfoil shape that you wanted to cut, every so often along the length of the propellor, then with Bobcad or standard Vector, you would separate the shapes into a top and bottom half, depending on where you could reach with an endmill or router cutter (zero degrees). By generating a spline along this seperation line, you now have defined both the cross sections, as well as the "paths", which are the other direction for the skin.
>
> Setting up the skin for Bobcad or Vector involves selecting the paths and cross sections in a logical order, with a common starting or reference corner. In Vector once you have selected a path, it is retained in memory, and you have lots of opportunities to correctly select the cross sections going in the opposite direction. In Bobcad to aid selection, you can select to the end of a chain, restricted to a single layer, in Vector you can blank the unneeded geometry while you select it. If you generate a skin in Bobcad, and the step over is not correct, or you need to change from "inside" to "outside" the selection process must be started from the beginnning, in Vector, undo-repeat commands will take you immediately back to the skin dialog, where you can enter your new parameters and immediately repeat the skin generation. You are allowed to change your viewing angle & zoom location and scale at any time during the selection process with Vector, Bobcad is VERY restrictive in!
> this respect.
>
> Bobcad has an option on the skin dialogue that will render a wire frame as a shaded surface. This is a nice feature, as it shows what the surface should look like when cut, but before generation of G-code. It also is nice for making pretty pictures to show customers.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 1999-12-05 17:55:59 UTC Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Gary Passon 1999-12-06 07:39:19 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-06 08:13:02 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell 1999-12-06 10:00:23 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad imserv@x... 1999-12-07 06:39:44 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-07 07:15:18 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell 1999-12-07 09:44:21 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell Gehlsen 1999-12-07 09:55:29 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Gary Passon 1999-12-07 18:33:38 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-08 02:50:42 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad