CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad

Posted by Fred Smith
From: Gary Passon <gary@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad

> From: Gary Passon <gary@...>
>
> Thank you Fred... that was incredibly informative and straight forward to
understand.

> One more question. If I created the part in Velum Solids as a surfaced
part and then saved it as a IGES file to you think either of these programs
could read the result in and be able to process it??

Gary,

Either the Bobcad, or the Vector-IGES2DXF program should be able to
import the Vellum geometry. However, you will not be able to save it in
Vellum, as an IGES solid entity type. Neither program will recognize IGES
solids. Vellum will provide you with many other options besides solid based
geometry. My recommendation would be to make cross sections within Vellum,
and save these as a wireframe, either IGES or DXF.

There is another issue with the Skin function of Bobcad and Vector that
I should also make a few comments about. In addition to the "rules" that I
already discussed in the previous posting, there is a requirement that the
entity counts on opposite sides of the "Quilt Squares" match. This would
mean for instance if one side of the wire frame consisted of 3 lines, the
opposite side must also consist of 3 lines, 3 arcs, or any combination
totaling 3. This is a balancing exercise that must be done to successfully
develop a skin. In the Version 17.0 (NOT in 16.1) release of Bobcad, this
rule was relaxed, in that the entity counts must now match in only one
direction, not both. The cross sections can have different entity counts,
but the paths MUST still have identical counts.

The method of doing this balancing is similar to finding the lowest
common denominator as in fractions. By counting the entities, you find that
one side has 3 and the opposite side has 4. You would then select the 3
entities, and divide them all into 4, resulting in 12 total. Now, select
the other side that has 4, divide them each into 3, resulting again in 12
total. Now both sides have 12 entities, and the geometry can be skinned.
In Bobcad the counting is a painful and tedious process, as there is no
function to quickly determine the number of entities on a side. In Vector
there is a selection verification function, that tells the number of
entities selected, the length of the chain, and the extents of the selection
in 3D space (very handy function). This function, combined with the ability
to undo & repeat in Vector usually selects Vector for this kind of 3D work.
However when there is a large model, or extremely fine stepovers & tolerance
requirements, Bobcad may be able to do the work with less effort than Vector
(or at all).

Another question that often comes up is the licensing/packaging issue. The
following is based on my own observation as a dealer and distributor, things
change, sometimes quickly when they become public knowledge ;-) You may
find that some of this information has changed, but it was all accurate at
some time within the last year.

Bobcad is distributed 2 different ways (in the US).

In the first package you receive a CD, containing the software & an
interactive HTML help file / electronic manual. This version is strictly
licensed to be run on a single CPU. There is a registration process, in
which you send Bobcad a code that is generated when you install Bobcad, &
they send you an access key for that specific machine. Sometimes, but not
always, this version is sold as a 2 seat license. This allows you to get 2
CPU's registered for one price. However, if you upgrade to a new computer,
or have to perform major surgery on an existing system, you will have to go
back to Bobcad to get a new code. To my knowledge, they have been very good
about issuing these codes, but only during their business hours.

The second Bobcad distribution package includes a set of printed manuals,
the software on CD-rom, with the same HTML help file / electronic manual.
There is no copy protection, and the license says "It is illegal to use this
product on more than one machine at a time". This version is sold with
multiple seat and site licenses. Make sure if you purchase a site license,
that your invoice from your dealer or from Bobcad clearly states how many
seats of Bobcad you are licensed to operate. If it does not state multiple
seats, you are only authorized to use one seat at a time. This distribution
does NOT come as a site license, you MUST pay additional for the
simultaneous use of additional seats.

Vector is distributed on CD-ROM with the printed manual "Learning Vector in
2 Hours" (168 pages). The CD-Rom also contains
the full color images & text for this and 2 additional tutorials (Cad & Cam)
and several other manuals documenting revisions for the last few releases.
All the manuals are in PDF format & can be printed or read online from the
CD. Vector has context sensitive help, including "What IS?" for inquiry
into the meaning and functions of menu selections. It is sold as single and
multiple seat licenses. The primary user is authorized to install Vector on
more than one computer, but cannot allow more than one copy of Vector to be
used simultaneously, without purchasing additional seats. Vector is not
copy protected, but there is a personalized registration key that allows
Vector to be used without expiring.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

imserv@...
Phone: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
Fax:248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 1999-12-05 17:55:59 UTC Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Gary Passon 1999-12-06 07:39:19 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-06 08:13:02 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell 1999-12-06 10:00:23 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad imserv@x... 1999-12-07 06:39:44 UTC Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-07 07:15:18 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell 1999-12-07 09:44:21 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Darrell Gehlsen 1999-12-07 09:55:29 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Gary Passon 1999-12-07 18:33:38 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad Fred Smith 1999-12-08 02:50:42 UTC Re: Re: Compare & Contrast/Vector & Bobcad