CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Yaskawa Motors WORK!!!

on 1999-12-12 16:47:01 UTC
David,

The motor brake voltage is usually the same as the
motor run voltage. When you apply voltage to the
motor, it also applys the same voltage to the brake,
at least that has been the system on the mills I have
used that contains a spindle brake. The brake is
spring activated, electrically released.

Steve Carlisle

----------
From: David L Anderson <daveland@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Yaskawa Motors WORK!!!
Date: Sunday, December 12, 1999 2:37 PM

From: David L Anderson <daveland@...>

Jon,Matt et al

Well I finally got some time to work on the mill. It it sad to say i've
done nothing on it for 2 Months
( with holidays, and my Singapore trip ... it's a wonder I get anything
done).

So I started to clean up the Yaskawa motors. I reported earlier that they
were hard to turn. I spent
all day yesterday painting one. I then decided why paint it if the
bearings are bad? So I decided to
take one appart (usually a bad idea) But I said I would NOT get into the
motor, Just check the
bearings for rust. Well these thing are built like tanks (48lbs) and I
figured how to remove the
encoder (very high rsolution... will check that next) and the tach (buried
in a can I can't open). So I
got one end cover off and found that it had nothing more than a seal.
Behind it was a pristine bearing
no rust anywhere. AH it must be the Rear bearing by the encoder that is
rusty!!! So I began to get to
it but was thwarted by a Flex coupling that has small set screws tha will
NOT come out. Instead of
buggering it up I decided to go to bed. (damn locktite!!!)

Some time early this morning I woke up and it hit me!!! The motors came
from a ROBOT. What
will happen if power drops out? The load would fall!!! SO they put BRAKE
in the motor that keeps
the load from dropping in case of power failures.

Eureka!!! This also explained the extra two wires with 38 ohms between them
that came out of
the motor. These release the brake. !!! ANd the extra "space" between
the motor and the
encoder houses a brake (which I can't see because the flex coupling is
stuck forever!!).

So I decided to try my theory. I figured 12V would be a reasonble voltage
to use on the brake. I
applied 12V to the 2 unknown wires and heard a click!! then the motor spun
like glass!!!! I connected the motor wires and it spun
at about 50 rpm at 12vdc drawing less than 1 amp!!!

So the motors work!!!! Even after being out in the weather for 1-2 years,
the industrial
explosion proof motors kept out the elements. Now to check the tachs and
the encoders and
see if they work. They look really clean inside, no corrosion at all.

Now to find out what the Rated voltage for the brake is. I can try going
from 1V up until I hear
it click in. Then add a few volts. I just don't want to burn out the coil
since it is on all the time!!!
I might even wire these to the ESTOP so the machine stops quicker!!!

Moral of the story. Don't let a bad motor get you down!!!!!

P.S. Check out your local scrap yard for broken painting robots. They
have great motors!!!
( altough a little large!!!!!) There are smaller ones in the arms, but
they are tough to get at!!!!

I'll try to post pictures next week..... Time to paint the second one!!!!!!

dave

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
bill,
List Manager

Discussion Thread

David L Anderson 1999-12-12 14:37:34 UTC Yaskawa Motors WORK!!! Steve Carlisle 1999-12-12 16:47:01 UTC Re: Yaskawa Motors WORK!!! Jon Elson 1999-12-12 21:14:40 UTC Re: Yaskawa Motors WORK!!! Robert Bachman 1999-12-13 06:20:03 UTC Re: Yaskawa Motors WORK!!!