CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work?

on 2002-03-28 23:13:40 UTC
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "William Scalione" <wscalione@n...>
> wrote:
> > > Each drive has it's own RS232 output plug , but I don't know if
> > > I can simply add 3 RS232 ports to the computer and still have my
> > > software (master5) work with them as each drive would be on a
> > > seperate port... Thats why I was thinking about a breakout box of
> > > somesort that I could attach all 3 RS232 connections to... then
> > > output from the breakout box to the single port on the computer
> > > and be able to comunicate through 1 port instead of 3 which may
> or
> > > may not work with the software.
> > >
> > > So, finding a breakou box that will work is what I may be looking
> for
> > > or simply adding more ports to the computer.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > Daniel
> >

> > Daniel,
> >
> > If what you have are really RS232 connections on the drives,
> > they are almost certainly not step and direction drives. I have
> > some Compumotor drives that have DB25 connectors on them,
> > which are what they sometimes use for RS232, but mine are
> > step and direction drives. Anything that uses RS232 will NOT
> > work with most of the hobby CNC out there, Master5 included
> > I think. Most hobby class CNC software communicates to the
> > step and direction drives through the parallel port. RS232 is a
> > serial port and will not work. It is possible to connect more than
> > one drive to a serial port by daisy chaining them in some instances
> > (check the drive manual) but you would need to write your own
> > software or find something that has allready been written for those
> > drives.
> >
> > Bill
>
> Hi Bill
> My Mistake Bill, These are DB25 connectors and they are stepper drives
> Unfortunately , no manual is available... even from the manufacturer..
> they sent me a few pages of info that they had... but not everything
> I need to know.
> By having 3 parallel ports on my computer, would I be able to hook
> them up or is there a better way?
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Daniel

If they are indeed step and direction drives, then only one parallel
port is required. On the controller I use (EMC) the outputs from the
computer are as follows. (See the Master5 Docs for your pinout)

PIN
2 X Direction
3 X Step
4 Y Direction
5 Y Step
6 Z Direction
7 Z Step
12 Home switch input
13 - Limit switch input
15 + Limit switch input

So, you will need to make a cable that will plug into your parallel port
on the computer, and branch off into 3 seperate cables. Wires from
pins 2 and 3 will go to the X axis drive 4 & 5 to the Y axis drive and
6 & 7 to the Z axis drive. You will also need to run a signal return
(ground) wire to each drive, usually one from pin 18 to 25. On the
X axis drive, you would connect the #2 wire to the direction input
and the #3 wire to the step input and the return wire to the signal
grounds. Same for Y and Z using the proper wires.Also you will need
to wire up your limit and home switches to your machine if you are
using them.

An easier way to accomplish the above is to buy a breakout board
from someone here on the list (there are a couple of people selling
them) Plug in a straight through wired DB25 cable from the parallel
port to the breakout board and use the screw terminals from the board
to wire from it to the drives and switches. Building your own cable is
not required with this method and it has the advantages of supplying
the pull-ups that may be needed for your limit and home switches as
well as opto isolation. One such board can be had here
http://www.campbelldesigns.com/breakout_board.htm

Bill

Discussion Thread

racingjewels 2002-03-27 17:22:13 UTC 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Jon Elson 2002-03-27 23:45:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? racingjewels 2002-03-28 07:21:17 UTC Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Jon Elson 2002-03-28 09:55:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? racingjewels 2002-03-28 14:13:20 UTC Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Bill Vance 2002-03-28 15:30:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? William Scalione 2002-03-28 21:23:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? racingjewels 2002-03-28 22:01:50 UTC Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Jon Elson 2002-03-28 22:41:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? William Scalione 2002-03-28 23:13:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Jon Elson 2002-03-29 10:22:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? racingjewels 2002-03-29 13:17:10 UTC Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work? Jon Elson 2002-03-29 22:43:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 phase driver, 2 phase motors. can this be wired to work?