CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC ??

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-03-29 01:36:12 UTC
Hi Terry,

Let's start right from scratch...
You have linux and emc installed from the BDI - right?
OK, when you start up it asks you to log in - enter 'root' as the user name
and the password you put in as you installed linux.
This will then let linux start and you should finish up with the KDE desktop
which looks a bit like windoze.
Almost all the files you will ever need to tinker with in linux are just
text files so we need to find an editor - go to the button at the bottom
left of the screen with a 'K' on it (where the 'start' button is in windoze)
and click on it. This opens up the menu which I'm sure you have already
found. Now find the 'editors' item and open this and pick an editor - the
one called 'text editor' will do fine.
Now, just as in windoze, pick the 'open file' option - this is where you
have probably fallen down initially.
Unlike in windoze, you don't automatically start at the 'C' directory - when
you logged in as 'root' (or when you log in as any user) you are
automatically placed in the 'home' directory of that user (like
automatically being in 'my documents' in windoze.), so, the first thing you
need to do is step back a directory by picking the '..' at the top of the
files tree in the 'open file' dialog. Now you should see all the main
directories displayed. There are two important ones in which most of the
files you will ever need to alter are kept, the 'usr' directory and the
'etc' one. The 'usr' directory has all your 'program' files in it whilst the
'etc' one has all the system settings files.
Choose the 'usr' directory and you will get several more options which
include 'local' - pick this and about half way down you should see 'emc'.
Open this one and you will find all the relevant files for emc, including
emc.ini, emc.run, generic.ini, generic.run etc. Now just pick one and browse
through it in the text editor. If you compare it with the descriptive help
files on the BDI CD or on the emc website, you will soon see what needs to
be altered to make the thing work for you - just alter the bits you need to
and re-save it (use the text editor just like you would a windoze one) -
remember, it may be as well to make a backup copy of the original first.
HTH

Best wishes,
Ian
--