CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] switched reluctance drive

Mike Snodgrass wrote:

> Hello, I have a friend that has a appliance store that gave me a motor and a driver card that they are using in the new Maytag washers. The driver board is labled "switched reluctance drive". It has six 13A 120V fet's driving a 3Ph motor rated at 3A per Ph. Also the duty cycle seems lower than desired. I haven't determined the pulse method to drive the board. The motor also has a timed encoder on the end which they use as a tach. These motors are labled variable speed, reversable. Would these make a good spindle drive?
> Also, with these drivers producing variable freq, would these have potential as a "VFD"? I realise the circuit would have to be amplified, and I suspect the output as square wave, which induction motors don't like. It seems these motors and drives are plentyful.

The drive IS a VFD. But, it is designed specifically for that motor. I would consider
the motor and drive as a unit, and not try to use them with anything else.

"circuit would have to be amplified,", I don't know what you mean. Are you saying
add an amplifier to drive larger motors with it? That's totally impractical.
If you want to drive a larger motor, get a VFD rated for that size motor.

Mike Snodgrass 2002-04-04 05:57:38 UTC switched reluctance drive Jon Elson 2002-04-04 09:40:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] switched reluctance drive