CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Constant voltage transformer

Posted by dave_ace_me
on 2002-04-06 19:34:07 UTC
Since I have two transformers that are apparently the same power, one
ferroresonat and one standard, which is better to use ?

If (when) I use the standard one, I plan on putting a 10k with LED
across the cap. as was mentioned, it will help me live longer.

I fired up the standard one and tested the output.
117 VAC from the wall and the outputs were
14vac, 24vac, 36vac, 44vac and 54vac.
so it seems I have pretty much any voltage I might need.
This came out to 20vdc, 34vdc, 51vdc, 62vdc and 76vdc after the cap.
like I said, I have a lot of choices here.

And it, actually both transformers will fit in an old tower computer
case so once I get my Gecko's I'll have a sweet looking and
functional set-up.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I seem to recall a load resistor on the old hard-drive power
supplies
> that had the ferro-resonant transformers. I'd leave 'em. Should
give
> you a nice, droop-proof supply for your motors.
>
> Alan KM6VV
>
> dave_ace_me wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks to you who advised me that what I have is a constant
voltage
> > transformer or as some called it, ferro-resonant (sp) transformer.
> >
> > In doing some further checking, and going by the size of the frame
> > and using the sq cm as the basis, it is of the same capacity as
> > the 'standard' transformer that was in the same unit.
> >
> > My question is whether there is any plus (or minus) of using this
> > constant voltage transformer over the standard transformer.
> >
> > The second question is to the reason why there is a 100 ohm
> > (measured) resistor across the taps of the cap. Does the constant
> > voltage transformer require a minum load or something ? I would
have
> > expected a much smaller bleed resistor over such a large cap.
> >
> > The resistor is a 100 ohm, 55 watt connected directly across the
> > 68,000 / 75 volt capacitor.
> >
> > Dave

Discussion Thread

dave_ace_me 2002-04-06 14:24:35 UTC Constant voltage transformer Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-04-06 16:55:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Constant voltage transformer dave_ace_me 2002-04-06 19:34:07 UTC Re: Constant voltage transformer Jon Elson 2002-04-06 22:27:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Constant voltage transformer dave_ace_me 2002-04-07 07:02:31 UTC Re: Constant voltage transformer Raymond Heckert 2002-04-07 20:45:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Constant voltage transformer Jon Elson 2002-04-07 22:09:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Constant voltage transformer