CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Constant voltage transformer

on 2002-04-07 20:45:55 UTC
I don't think the C-V transformer is designed to be used as a DC power
supply. They are designed to pass thru rated voltage when the input
'sags'. I think that Resistor across the Cap forms an R-C circuit
(somebody, help me with the electronics... been a long time) to allow the
transformer to draw nominal current when it's input IS at line voltage, but
when the line drops, the R-C shifts the power factor, to draw more current,
to make up for the drop in voltage... at least, that's how it was explained
to me. The explanation may be a little flawed, but the end result is the
same. Either use the C-V to feed the control (standard) transformer, or
just use the control transformer alone. Bear in mind, that the C-V is
noisier than a regular transformer. If you want to contact me off-line, I
can find you a few titles of texts on C-V trx design.

RayHex

p.s. Are all those secondary windings isolated from each other, or are they
just taps on a common winding?
----------
> From: dave_ace_me <davemucha@...>
>
> Since I have two transformers that are apparently the same power, one
> ferroresonat and one standard, which is better to use ?
>
> If (when) I use the standard one, I plan on putting a 10k with LED
> across the cap. as was mentioned, it will help me live longer.
>
> I fired up the standard one and tested the output.
> 117 VAC from the wall and the outputs were
> 14vac, 24vac, 36vac, 44vac and 54vac.
> so it seems I have pretty much any voltage I might need.
> This came out to 20vdc, 34vdc, 51vdc, 62vdc and 76vdc after the cap.
> like I said, I have a lot of choices here.
>
> And it, actually both transformers will fit in an old tower computer
> case so once I get my Gecko's I'll have a sweet looking and
> functional set-up.
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

dave_ace_me 2002-04-06 14:24:35 UTC Constant voltage transformer Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-04-06 16:55:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Constant voltage transformer dave_ace_me 2002-04-06 19:34:07 UTC Re: Constant voltage transformer Jon Elson 2002-04-06 22:27:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Constant voltage transformer dave_ace_me 2002-04-07 07:02:31 UTC Re: Constant voltage transformer Raymond Heckert 2002-04-07 20:45:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Constant voltage transformer Jon Elson 2002-04-07 22:09:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Constant voltage transformer