CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vexta, powermax, stepper voltage question??????

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-04-07 15:00:09 UTC
Hi,

I interpret the 65VDC rating as the maximum power supply voltage to
be used on a drive running the motor. This limit may be because of
motor winding insulation or it is a voltage that would bring the
motor case temperature to its rated limit. It certainly does not mean
you apply 65VDC to a winding to get the rated current.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> I have had a number of Vexta motors that were rated at 2 - 3 volts.
> Looking at a PacSci Powermax II sitting in front of me it has a volt
> rating on it that says 65 v, but from having run it at 24 v I would
have
> to venture a guess that the rating is done a different way than most
> other motors. On most motors the rated voltage is that at which you
> would get a current draw equal to the rated amperage if the supply
is
> just hooked directly to the motor without any current limiting.
Seems on
> the Powermax the rated voltage is more like the max voltage you
would
> use with a chopper drive limiting the current to the rated level. I
know
> this specific Powermax motor is just flying on a 24 v supply and an
API