CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vexta, powermax, stepper voltage question??????

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2002-04-07 11:44:24 UTC
I have had a number of Vexta motors that were rated at 2 - 3 volts.
Looking at a PacSci Powermax II sitting in front of me it has a volt
rating on it that says 65 v, but from having run it at 24 v I would have
to venture a guess that the rating is done a different way than most
other motors. On most motors the rated voltage is that at which you
would get a current draw equal to the rated amperage if the supply is
just hooked directly to the motor without any current limiting. Seems on
the Powermax the rated voltage is more like the max voltage you would
use with a chopper drive limiting the current to the rated level. I know
this specific Powermax motor is just flying on a 24 v supply and an API
CMD-260 drive.

So in summary, the Vexta appears to be a high inductance motor like you
would find in many copy machines. The Powermax is much more likely a
very nive low inductance unit and basted upon the one I have I would not
exceed the 65 v supply level and it will probably run great on much
lower voltage.

Tim
[Denver, CO]