CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Beginners Question - milling procedures

on 2002-04-19 11:24:52 UTC
Depending on the Software package you use, you'll normally use the actual
outline of the part to generate your G-codes, but you'll have to specify a
tool, with length offset, and dia offset, so the system knows how far away
from the programmed path to 'back-off' the cutter, and how deep the Z-axis
should drop to get the desired depth. You'll also have to specify the
function (i.e. move, mill or drill) to implement. You may have to program a
'lead-in' and 'lead-out' to get the best part appearance . Most systems
demand that you make an 'air-cut' G01 move at least the amount of dia
offset to 'kick it in'. You may have to allow for the tool to 'ramp-into'
the stock when milling out a pocket. Depending on the sophistication of the
program, it might allow a 'roughing' pass, followed by a 'finish' pass.
This would generally require a tool change, and subsequent tool offset.
This is really an over-simplification of the actual process, but you get
the picture. I generally say, "You get what you pay for", but some of the
Software discussed on these pages is as good as "Big-Iron Brand-Name"
software costing 10 to infinite times as much (since some of the software
is actually FREE)! Above all else, STUDY the manual! Don't do anything 'til
you've read it cover-to-cover three times. You'll be surprised how much
you'll pick up on those last two passes.

RayHex

p.s. When I was just an apprentice, the 'Ole Bull Moose' said, regarding
experts:
X stands for unknown, and spurt is a drip, under pressure

----------
> From: Mark Taft <mark.taft@...>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am in the process of building my own CNC rig following many hints and
tips
> from the pages discussed here.
>
> I wish to use AutoCAD to design my parts. Then run a small milling
machine
> similar to the sherline to make small model parts.

> I am already an AutoCAD expert in 2 and 3 D.
> I have experimented with Master 5 and Kcam.
>
> The both seem excellent packages and can both convert my AutoCAD R14
> drawings to Gcode without any problems.
>
> My question relates to the process of how you use the generated Gcode. :-
>
> Do you have to edit the Gcode manually to allow for cutter widths and
edges
> etc ?
>
> As the milling cutter has a width, do you always have to modify the
G-code

?

> I hope this is clear.
> Thanks for your help , this is my only missing link to the process.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Taft

Discussion Thread

Mark Taft 2002-04-19 08:10:02 UTC Beginners Question - milling procedures imserv1 2002-04-19 09:21:59 UTC Re: Beginners Question - milling procedures Raymond Heckert 2002-04-19 11:24:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Beginners Question - milling procedures James Owens 2002-04-23 14:27:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Beginners Question - milling procedures