CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Spindle motors from Vacuum cleaner motor

Posted by Brian
on 2002-04-20 18:24:59 UTC
yea, those uprights make an awful noise..my buddy sells Electrolux, so old
machines not a problem. there are many at the dump sometimes. I have one of
the beats as it sweeps motors its not too big, but fan inside and cog belt
shaft. front bearing is ok but shaft is small. my idea was to turn out of
alum front end with a real bearing up front and silver solder an adapter for
the big bearing and a chuck...cul brian f.
----- Original Message -----
From: <JanRwl@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Spindle motors from Vacuum cleaner motor

Coincidence: I just got a big Red Devil "upright" vac given to me; it was
all-intact except this ONE busted plastic tab that precluded proper
re-assembly without at least minor "re-machining", admittedly beyond the
abilities of the average "house-husband". So, not needing a second vacuum,
canabalized it for all the hardware, switches, cord, etc.

The "roller-brush motor" is a nifty little thing with FOUR mounting-holes
for
#8 fasteners, and a smooth (no "flat") 9 mm (?) dia. shaft about 2" long
(used as a "pulley" for the flat, user-replaceable-belt to drive the wooden
roller-brush), This is a "universal motor" (brushes, stator-coil, not
PM's),
and seems precision.

The "2 hp" vac. motor (probably 1/2 hp on a good day!) mounts in a rubber
flexible housing, and has a bare 8 mm? UNUSED shaft "out the top"
("brush-end") a good 2½" long, making attachments straightforward. There is
also a "yellow wire" out of the motor for the "headlights" on the vacuum
cleaner which I haven't measured, yet, but might put out 12 or 24 VAC, using
the motor as a transformer, when running. This is a "serious motor", and if
you removed the vac.-fan, never forget, there'd be then no forced
ventilation
to the windings, etc., which is clearly mandatory to preclude total burnout
in about 20 seconds of "initial on-time"!

Just remember one thing when envisioning using a "perfectly good" motor from
a popular appliance such as this: Fashion changes may likely cause this
appliance to dissappear from all annals of repair-parts catalogs in less
than
a year after your using it to "invent," making replacement parts such as
bearings, stator-windings, armatures, even brushes, very rare and VERY, VERY
expensive, when available at all ! Jan Rowland, Old Troll who had
BEEN
there; DONE that!

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom