CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 470 uf Caps (was) 2 Fried G210's

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-05-07 20:20:53 UTC
Jay,

Good evening! Use a 470uF cap if:

(1) There is a fuse in series with the + power supply lead (always a
good idea), or:

(2) The motor phase current is more than 3A.

Putting a 470uF across the drive's power supply input can only help,
not hurt. Use a cap voltage rating higher than your supply voltage.

Use a 5A fast-blo fuse.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "J.Critchfield" <js3mc@a...> wrote:

> :
> >
> > > So always add al _large_ capacitor to the DC supply. I even add
> > > seperate "energy absorber" (large Zener diode or
> > > Zener-transistor-resistor combination) to my setups because I
don't
> > > trust the capacitor alone.
> >
> > Will adding extra extra caps add extra safety. What I mean is:
> >
> > 1 main capacitor across brige rectifier output which split up to
> >
> > 3 separate secondary caps for each axis
> >
> > 3 tertiary capacitors at the power input for the gecko or other
> > drives?
>

> For those of us who are electronically challenged what are "Zener
diodes &
> Zener-transistor-resistor combinations" and how are they wired in
to a power
> supply?
>
> What type of fuses and fuse holders are recommended between the PS
and
> Geckos?
>
> For Mariss- is it a good idea to add the 470uf caps to each drive
even if
> the drives are closer than 12" AND should the voltage rating of the
470uf
> cap match the main cap?
>
> Jay

Discussion Thread

J.Critchfield 2002-05-07 20:10:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 470 uf Caps (was) 2 Fried G210's mariss92705 2002-05-07 20:20:53 UTC Re: 470 uf Caps (was) 2 Fried G210's