CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Diagrams of the tape-O-matic

Brad Heuver wrote:

> From: "Brad Heuver" <bheuver@...>
>
> I have scanned in a block diagram, and a hard-to-read servo-amp diagram

You're not kidding about hard to read. You might be able to get connector
pin numbers from the original, but otherwise, there isn't a whole lot of
info there. Each channel of the servo amp looks like a triangle with a
bunch of connections. Not very helpful in understanding these amps.

> that Ivan posted, and it worked great. I hooked up the tape-O-matic
> (TOM) and flipped the start switch. so far, so good... I got a tape
> fault, and a '+' on the display. I cleared the fault, and.... nothing. I
> can clamp and release the spindle, but thats as far as it goes. I was
> not able to jog any axis, or even enter a command into the machine.

Well, without an operator's manual, you really can't tell if anything is
wrong. But, it sort of sounds like the safety chain is open, forcing
the machine to stay in estop. When you come out of estop, there
should be some big relays that clunk, and the machine table should
jerk just a little.

You'll need to solve at least a little of this to power the servo amps
up.

> Sooo, now begins the path to EMC conversion.

Well, aside from wanting to get enough of the machine running to check
out the servo amps, etc., that is probably a good idea. From the looks
of the big block diagram, this is a tape - NC machine, with no computer
at all. That means, no interpolation, or at least no circular interpolation.
Probably also, not cutter radius compensation, no tool offset, and generally
clumsy operation in manual.

> The X and Y axis have Reliance 457665-MV 3/4 hp motors, type TR with 6
> wires. They are 120V, with a 6.0 amp rating on ____, and a 0.65 amp

^^ armature ^^

> field rating.
> The spindle I haven't dug into yet. If anyone can actually read any of
> the block diagrams I posted, I'll post more, but I may have to get
> better at the process. The originals are OK to read, but are tan/brown
> with age, and don't scan or copy well at all. The fact that they were
> shrunk to 8 1/2" x 11" before scanning doesn't help either.

You may need to tweak the copier settings before copying the drawings,
or scan the originals in pieces and reassemble in grey-scale mode, and
then image process the scan before posting. (A lot of work.)

Brad Heuver 2000-01-03 07:38:54 UTC Diagrams of the tape-O-matic Jon Elson 2000-01-03 21:39:27 UTC Re: Diagrams of the tape-O-matic Bertho Boman 2000-01-04 03:28:28 UTC Re: Diagrams of the tape-O-matic