CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RasterFratz is now available

Posted by imserv1
on 2002-05-16 20:44:53 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Doug Harrison" <prototype@c...> wrote:
> > This program was designed to make cutting files, not to convert
> > pencil or printed drawings to CAD.
>
> Ya mean we can't feed old blueprints into a scanner and get
finished parts
> out of the Mazak? How then will we be able to replace engineers and
> machinists with minimum wage people?

What I mean is that you can't feed an old blueprint into the machine
and get a CAD drawing out. Just as you have attested to the many
instances of companies wasting money on software to supposedly
automate the Cad-Cam process, many of them also waste a lot of money
turning good blueprints into garbage CAD files. The software for
this boondoggle is usually priced in the $4000 per seat range.

Rasterfratz is NOT designed to do this. It is designed to make
reasonable and useful cutting files from pictures and clip art,
nothing else. That's all. It doesn't pretend to do centerline
tracing, OCR or fancy CAD modifications. It just makes nice
efficient outlines. It has some image adjustment sliders, but most
of the time you don't need to touch them. Just convert it and the
file is ready to cut. Well... I usually set the size of the output
file before I convert it. Like 3 inches wide.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

IMService 2002-05-16 11:25:50 UTC RasterFratz is now available Tim Goldstein 2002-05-16 12:44:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RasterFratz is now available Doug Harrison 2002-05-16 16:17:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RasterFratz is now available imserv1 2002-05-16 20:44:53 UTC Re: RasterFratz is now available doug98105 2002-05-17 07:00:59 UTC Re: RasterFratz is now available Tim Goldstein 2002-05-17 08:42:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RasterFratz is now available IMService 2002-05-17 13:02:47 UTC Re: Re: RasterFratz is now available