CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: help!

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-05-26 15:06:51 UTC
Mark,

I take it from the motor current and voltage you have a double stack
size 34 motor. If so, it's good for about 300 in-oz of holding torque.

You say you have 6-wire motor. Wired either way (full winding vs.
half winding), you will get the same low speed torque. You will be
able to keep that torque to twice the speed in half winding though.
This is the recommended setup unless your power supply voltage is
much greater than 60VDC (20 times 3VDC).

Use the center tap and one end wire, (your pick, it makes no
difference which). Just be sure to insulate the unused end wire.

Use a 68K resistor for the current set (terminals 11 and 12).

If you want to use it full winding (center tap unused), set the
current to 2A with an 18K resistor. Don't be tempted to run it at a
higher current; the torque will not increase very much, it will run a
lot rougher and be a lot hotter while doing so.

It's a losing proposition; if you could get more torque that way, the
motor would be rated for it. Steppers do not have "reserve torque"
you can reach for by using higher than rated currents.

Good luck.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., mabw <mabw@b...> wrote:
> Hi every one,
> Sorry about the basic questions but i am very raw at this. I have
> bought three of the Gecko 201 closeout drives and I wish to ask a
few
> dumbo questions, here goes!,
> The stepper motors I have are 3 volt , 4 amp 6 wire jobs and I want
> to get the most torque out of them with no real concern about fast
> feed rates so , do I wire them as 4 wire leaving the center taps
> vacant, if so what is the resistor value required? or do i 4 wire
> using two end taps and the two center taps , again what size
> resistor? I know the guide that came with the drives does explain
it
> but as I am so hopeless with this stuff that i would rather ask the
> experts than stuff the drives!
> kindest regards
> Mark

Discussion Thread

mabw 2002-05-26 14:40:17 UTC help! Bob Campbell 2002-05-26 14:55:24 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help! mariss92705 2002-05-26 15:06:51 UTC Re: help! JanRwl@A... 2002-05-26 15:41:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help!