CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which oscilloscope for motors?

kdoney_63021 wrote:

> I want to buy an oscilloscope to tune servo motors and would like a
> recommendation on what speed (100 Mhz required?) and what brand.

You need a storage scope. You need to see things with a time span up
to one second or more. A 10 MHz scope would be more than enough,
if this is the only thing you will do with it. I have a Link Instruments
DSO-2102M, which is a dual channel, 100 MHz sampling rate external
pod that connects to a PC's parallel port. This has your choice of 1K or
32 K samples per channel, which allows you to sample at high rate and
then scroll to the area of interest. I used it quite a bit for early
servo tuning, but when I got EMC, I was able to make the scope traces
right from the EMC computer. the advantage there is that EMC can read
the position of the encoder and make it a scope trace, too. You can't
do that easily with an ordinary DSO.

kdoney_63021 2002-05-30 07:59:59 UTC Which oscilloscope for motors? Jon Elson 2002-05-30 11:43:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which oscilloscope for motors?