CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] question

on 2002-05-30 14:02:28 UTC
Hi Mark,

Yeah, the 470uF/100V caps are a little large to mount right on the
Gecko's. Put some insulation on the radial leads, it'll work.

You can get 5V power from the game port, or internally from one of the
drive connectors. DO not just regulate the MOTOR power, we're trying to
keep isolated from that! You'll probably want to bring both +- leads
over to the Driver/PS box, and the return (-) side can usually be
connected to pins 18-25 of the parallel port connector. This way you'll
have a full circuit for an LED power ON lamp. I decided I'll also put
an indicator on the MOTOR +37V line. Both 5+ and MOTOR power should be
switched on the driver/PS.

An alternative is to use a 5VDC (insure that is is EXACTLY 5V) wall
wart, or a 9-12VDC wall wart and an your 7805 reg. The DeskNC "black
box" has a regulator on it, so I'm currently just hanging a 9V wall wart
on it, and a short cable runs to my driver/PS. I know I've got a small
5V linear supply (2.5" x 2.5") around here somewhere, when I find it, I
might decide to put it IN the driver/PS box!

There are more items that should be in your driver/PS, if your not
already familiar with the bridge, filter, Gecko fuses, etc., search the
list for recent (and reoccurring) QA's on these points. Or ask some
more questions! We want to keep YOU and your Gecko's healthy! Not to
insult you or anyone, but:

PLEASE REMEMBER THE ELECTRICAL SAFETY ISSUES, AND ASK IF YOU'RE NOT
SURE!

HTH

Alan KM6VV

markpowerplus wrote:

> Morning all!,
> I am still fussing over these Gecko's ! As my power supply is just
> over 400 mm away from the drives the white paper says i need to fit
> capacitors . Can/do I fit them into terminals 1 + 2 where the
> positive
> and negative leads go as well as the leads ie:right along side the
> wires ,or what do I do? also the 5 volt supply I have been told to
> bring out from a spare plug inside the computer ,(can I use a 7805
> voltage regulator of the drive power supply to get the 5 volt)now
> this sounds really dumb but.........do i just bring out the positive
> wire or a negative as well? if so where does that go? Also the
> position no.7 on the gecko is for 'disable' what do I do with this?
> yes I know your thinking what the hell is this bloke doing touching
> this stuff ,hey i'm only a machinist not an electrical whizzo! wait,
> another question! no just kidding! all help is mucho appreciated.
> kindest regards
> Mark ( who doesn't want to destroy any more stuff)

Discussion Thread

markpowerplus 2002-05-30 12:43:19 UTC question hugo_cnc 2002-05-30 13:04:12 UTC Re: question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-30 14:02:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] question JanRwl@A... 2002-05-30 16:56:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] question Doug Fortune 2002-05-30 19:39:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] question