CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC

on 2002-05-31 11:41:07 UTC
Hi Dan,

I recall you saying when you first started with the patterns that you
used an excel spread sheet for your calculations, but I'm surprised that
now that you start out in Vector CAD/CAM, that you don't just copy an
paste to replicate the pattern as needed, and perhaps copy into another
drawing to scale it. You're still using excel to scale and replicate?
Generating Gcode from a spreadsheet is a nice trick, 'tho.

Very interesting patterns, those Celtic knots. Wish I had some to share
with you! And quite impressive rings!

Alan KM6VV

Dan Statman wrote:

> Yes, I am using Sherline's rotary table. For software, I draw a single
> unit of the pattern in Vector and generate the G-Code for that
> pattern. I then take the G-Code and copy it to a spreadsheet (Excel).
> >From th spreadsheet, I can extract relevant X and Y data points which
> can then be scaled and repeated using simple mathematical manipulations
> of the data. Once I have all of the pattern created on a 360 degree
> rotational axis, I have another macro that creates G-Code directly in
> Microsoft Word from the Excel spreadsheet. Takes about 5 minutes after
> Vector creates the initial G-Code.
>
> It takes so long to engrave since I am using a 0.015" endmill spinning
> at a relatively slow 10,200 RPM while trying to cut grade-5 titanium.
> In order to acheive the depth of cut the pattern is repeated three
> times. I set the feed rate to 0.5 IPM, but since it is on a rotary
> table the exact speed is unknown. Given the short interval between
> segments, I do not think the machine ever reaches the full speed
> setting anyway since it is accelerating and decelerating all of the
> time. I am not in the least bit concerned with the speed of cutting,
> since I have plenty of handwork that I do on other projects while these
> are being cut.
>
> Dan.

Discussion Thread

RC 2002-05-31 05:45:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-31 11:41:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC Dan Statman 2002-05-31 12:12:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-31 12:58:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC Dan Statman 2002-05-31 13:15:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-06-01 10:35:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC wayne_j_hill 2002-06-01 20:05:34 UTC Re: Latest Design Created with my SherlineCNC