CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Reasons for using EMC

Posted by bsptrades
on 2002-06-01 13:54:03 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "mart_wid" <vwa1244302@a...> wrote:
> I'd be interested to hear peoples reasons for using EMC rather than
> the likes of TurboCNC etc. It does seem to be difficult to setup
and
> get running reliably. If you design on the computer you cut with,
it
> also restricts the choice of CadCam programs unless you opt for a
> dual-boot system.
>
> Thanks, Martin.

Why EMC you say. This question really depends on where your
interests are with the CNC and purpose.

People who like Linux and and applications such as EMC are often
folks like myself. I have been a simulation engineer for years. Just
recently through a machinist friend have I been turned on to the CNC
world. I'm looking to apply the experience in control systems to make
machines and build cool stuff, wind mills, circuit boards , plasma
cutter. Since I'm a tinkerer building the machine is half the fun
besides the cash flow is limited.

In general Engineering folks have always worked with UNIX or work
stations , main frames, embeded processes. Micro squish to this day
can't manage to produce a simple stable operating system for real-
world applications, they are more interested in the mass netcentric
consumer market. Just look at the age of some of the equipment in use
out there. In our world aircraft are not obsolete in 3 years some of
the equipment has been in service for 30 years and must be supported
along the way. In similar fashion I can't expect expect someone to
update the CNC machine control every 3 years just because I won't
support the OS anylonger.

Linux is a true multi task operating system, the real-time kernel is
a very powerful extension when not over loaded. If you don't try too
hard to make Linux act like Windoz it is very stable and powerful.
You can support a wide range of processors and tasks that a bloated
windoz box won't even load.

In short Linux is a true operating system complete with a hoste of
tools in an environment most engineering types are comfortable with.
It's free and open source so you can build real code , modify things
as desired and make it portable across many platforms. Windoz does
not even come with a friggen compiler!, they change the dang core
every 3 years making low level tasks such as machine control a total
pain. Support sucks and you can't get the source so if it crashes you
get the blue window of death and try another box arghh. This is why
so many controls still use DOS. the OS is not in the way.

The down side is if you are not a Linux/UNIX user there is a
learning curve and somewhat a basic understanding of machine
operation, task scheduling and OS structure that is not familiar.
Windoz tries very hard to hide the operational aspects of the OS from
the average user so many PC users find the introduction to Linux a
bit complex. Like anything the more control you have the more you
need to learn. This is where folks like REDHAT and the EMC BDI come
in. These allow a beginning user the potential to get working early
in the learning curve but there remains a good learning cure to get
efficient and comfortable.

EMC in particular seems to be a very powerful program and great
baseline for building an application on. The daunting task is, to be
flexible and powerful it has many many options. There are a lot of
folks who may not even know what a servo is yet, so grasping the
process of tuning a servo control loop can be quite a process to
start on.

I myself am working on both EMC and turboCNC. The DOS program is
great, small and simple so it was easy to get up and running on cheap
equipment. I had the small lathe wizzing plastic crumbs out in a day
with turboCNC. You can even boot off a floppy if you want. For a
small machine and someone like myself who is not a machinist this is
cool.

Now when I have improved to where I know what I want and can define
it I may interface that in EMC. Things like network download,
network monitoring , auxilary control pannel , cutter back plotting
would be easier for me to do under EMC and Linux likely.

If you really have little interest in the how it works but want to
learn to make parts the familiar windows/DOS programs are a good
choice. If you want to build machines and make them do what you want
or really want power you will eventually want source code to tweek or
at minimum a program with great support that will accomodate user
input.

My opinion anyhow.

Brian Punkar
BSP

Discussion Thread

mart_wid 2002-06-01 09:17:51 UTC Reasons for using EMC bsptrades 2002-06-01 13:54:03 UTC Re: Reasons for using EMC