CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC wood Lathe

on 2002-06-03 05:28:43 UTC
Good Morning,

(well it is here anyway)

Your post is wide open.
As you mentioned, the mechanical side of your project is something
you feel confident about handling. Always great to have one real
section handled.

Assuming you have the mechanical confidence for the lathe, mounting
and connecting the stepprs would fall under the same expertise.

Of course, you have a few pieces to of the puzzle to fit together.

Since you mentioned that you have a kit for the controllers, and you
have the steppers, yoiu didn't mention what stage you are in.

did you complete the kit ? triple check the chip orientation ?
triple check for solder links ?

Assuming you have the kit perfect, you will need a power supply for
the unit. Simple transformer, capacitor, voltage rectifier. Each of
these items has been discussed on this list so searching for them
will not only yield the info you need, but also tips and tricks that
will broaden your understanding of how it all goes togther.

It seems that software is the last thing you will need to get
mechanical movement. Dancad and DanCAM was mentioned in the kit
description. Not a bad start. It too has been discussed on here and
you will find more than a few who can answer your specific questions
about it.

At that point you will have everything ready to go to Pop. He will
need to learn DanCAD or some CAD program, and then transferring those
files to something DanCAM can read. The CAM software uses G and M
codes to instruct the steppers which way and how fast to turn. Since
that is what he will be doing, you could get him started on that
while you build.

There was a link on here about learning the man-machine interface.
http://www.wokingham.demon.co.uk/prog/programming.htm

I think there was a tutorial site with software too, but I'm not sure
of ht at URL.

Hopefully, I've answered some of your questions, if not, be specific
as to the problem.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aubob2002" <RobertiBishop@A...> wrote:
> I would like to build a CNC wood lathe for my father.
> I am an Electrical fitter with machining experience so making the
> lathe is no problem.
> I would like help in the CNC gear, I have laptop, stepper motors
and
> driver boards, purchased a kit(K142)from Oatley electronics
> (www.oatleyelectronics.com)but they are not much help in getting it
> working. Where do I go from here ? Do I purchase software, do I
need
> other parts ? Could someone please advise me on what to do next?
> The more I read, the more confused I get.

Discussion Thread

aubob2002 2002-06-02 21:43:59 UTC CNC wood Lathe turbulatordude 2002-06-03 05:28:43 UTC Re: CNC wood Lathe Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-06-03 10:34:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC wood Lathe RobertiBishop@A... 2002-06-03 15:07:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC wood Lathe turbulatordude 2002-06-03 17:52:04 UTC Re: CNC wood Lathe JanRwl@A... 2002-06-03 19:58:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC wood Lathe