CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Maxnc and Gecko 201's & other small mills Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]

Posted by John
on 2002-06-04 23:59:49 UTC
Hello Alan,

I don't think it was that a Sherline machine was meant to be inferior to
others, but that they in some way didn't use the Geckos to their full
potential. I've developed a new interest in Geckos as I've spotted a Denford
Starmill for sale on Gandmtools. If I could get that I'd have a colour
co-ordinated garage! I'm fully aware of this machines limited travel
abilities in comparison to a Sherline but judging by my Denford lathe, they
are built to be nuke proof. They are outstandingly well made for their
hobbyist size. The lathe is just a smidge more able in terms of work size
than a Sherline but it weighs something over 200lbs.

This mill anyway, the price Gandmtools want for it is less than funny, it's
insulting. Check this, £1.8K! for a second hand, limited travel desktop mill
with a piece of junk for a controller. They really are humerous guys! I
wrote them an email to tell them that, since they have the same lathe I do
on there for 20x what I paid for mine. With respect to their current price,
my offer of £200 was more than twice what I would pay them using the same
ratio I got the lathe for. If I managed to squeeze this mill for their
deadly scamming hands I will probably buy a set of Geckos for the two. It's
a good machine but £1.8K! I chuckle. If they halved their prices the stuff
would walk out their warehouse. And they could quater their prices and still
make a profit.

Regards,
John H.

> Hi John,
>
> WORKS FOR ME! I really enjoy my G210's (4 axis) on my Sherline. And
> this is an OLD Sherline (I'm gonna get a new one... soon). Nothing 2nd
> class about Sherline! I can also get a little more resolution using the
> microstepping drives (smooth, too!).
>
> The PS/Driver boxes I build have connectors for the motor cables (as I
> think all should have), so I can unplug it and drive something else,
> later. Like an EMCO 5" lathe, or even my RF-31, although since I found
> some good servo motors, I think I'll experiment with G320 there.
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> John wrote:
> >
> > I remember asking whether it'd be worth putting Gecko's on a Sherline a
good
> > long while back and someone said it'd be quite pointless considering the
> > size of the travel and the screw properties. Like 'Going first class on
> > second class machine'. I understand a lot more about CNC now but could
> > someone be helpful and remind me why this is the case?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John H.
> >
> > P.S. I'm talking steppers here! : )

> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining