CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Maxnc and Gecko 201's & other small mills Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]

Posted by mart_wid
on 2002-06-05 11:41:05 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "John" <johnhe-uk@s...> wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> I don't think it was that a Sherline machine was meant to be
inferior to
> others, but that they in some way didn't use the Geckos to their
full
> potential. I've developed a new interest in Geckos as I've spotted
a Denford
> Starmill for sale on Gandmtools. If I could get that I'd have a
colour
> co-ordinated garage! I'm fully aware of this machines limited
travel
> abilities in comparison to a Sherline but judging by my Denford
lathe, they
> are built to be nuke proof. They are outstandingly well made for
their
> hobbyist size. The lathe is just a smidge more able in terms of
work size
> than a Sherline but it weighs something over 200lbs.
>
> This mill anyway, the price Gandmtools want for it is less than
funny, it's
> insulting. Check this, £1.8K! for a second hand, limited travel
desktop mill
> with a piece of junk for a controller. They really are humerous
guys! I
> wrote them an email to tell them that, since they have the same
lathe I do
> on there for 20x what I paid for mine. With respect to their
current price,
> my offer of £200 was more than twice what I would pay them using
the same
> ratio I got the lathe for. If I managed to squeeze this mill for
their
> deadly scamming hands I will probably buy a set of Geckos for the
two. It's
> a good machine but £1.8K! I chuckle. If they halved their prices
the stuff
> would walk out their warehouse. And they could quater their prices
and still
> make a profit.
>
> Regards,
> John H.

You could try here if you want a Denford Mill
http://www.tradesalesdirect.co.uk but I suspect it may be a bit
steep for you. I have this mill and it is very well put together, it
even has an auto-lube system built in. Price new in 1986 was over
£8000 !!!

Cheers, Martin.

Discussion Thread

John 2002-06-04 23:59:49 UTC Maxnc and Gecko 201's & other small mills Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mart_wid 2002-06-05 11:41:05 UTC Maxnc and Gecko 201's & other small mills Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]