CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AC Stepper motors

turbulatordude wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I spoke to a friend who deals in gov't surplus and he has an AC
> stepper, close to 4 inch body, 4 inch long.
>
> It had no nameplate so I was leary.
>
> All I have found was DC stepper data so is an AC stepper motor of any
> value ? I guess what I mean is, is it as easy to use as a DC ? or is
> it sooo much better that it is worth the trouble getting it running.?

All steppers are AC, to be precise. What I think this may mean is this
is NOT a stepping motor, byt a low-speed AC synchronous motor.
They were used to turn remote-controlled lighting dimmers and similar
devices, directly from the AC lines, with a capacitor to shift the phase
for the 2nd winding. These don't make good steppers, as they require
high voltage to move them at all, and have vast inductance which
makes them very slow.

turbulatordude 2002-06-05 05:41:39 UTC AC Stepper motors Jon Elson 2002-06-05 16:45:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AC Stepper motors mariss92705 2002-06-05 17:57:10 UTC Re: AC Stepper motors