CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: High speed profiling and cpu speed

Posted by dakota8833
on 2002-06-06 14:48:06 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Toddy, Terry L CUBA" <tltoddy@o...>
wrote:
> I was wondering what people's experience was with processor speed
versus
> profiling speed. I am running EMC which has a nice constant speed
contouring
> feature, G64, on a plasma cutter. When cutting artistic shapes (line
> segments in the .020 to .050 long) the motion is jerky because the
cpu
> cannot make the necessary calculations fast enough. I have to slow
the
> federate down to about 10 to 20 in/min to get the motion smooth with
a 266
> MHz Pentium. My system uses stepper motors, 2000 (x10 micro steps)
per inch,
> and I am running freqmod. How fast of a processor is needed to cut
artistic
> shapes up to say 100 in/min? Anyone have experience with plasma
cutters, EMC
> and shape cutting?
>
> Terry

If you have 128 or more mem on board take advange of this. Linux knows
but EMC does not and gets this info from the ini file. As shipped it's
set to 64 meg. "Base address in hex" Change this and you will notice a
big inprovement in smoothness and screen updates ( jerky mouse pointer
movement ). Don't use the backploter or any other screen info not
needed to run your machine. Screen updates take time and I noticed it
steps on the task controllers toes ( halting ). I would try steppermod
or go to at least a 500 cpu. I'm running a 500 cpu 128 meg and 2048
steps per inch. cutting at 460 ipm.

Discussion Thread

Toddy, Terry L CUBA 2002-06-04 12:49:59 UTC High speed profiling and cpu speed dakota8833 2002-06-06 14:48:06 UTC Re: High speed profiling and cpu speed