CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Anti-backlash nuts

Posted by madmike43613
on 2002-06-11 14:05:12 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Christopher Morse <climberchris@y...>
wrote:
> It appears from the picture that you know how to
> repack your ball nuts with ball bearings. I always
> regarded this as very hard and take great pains to
> keep the balls in the race while working with them.
> Can you give me some pointers on how to repack the
> balls?
>
> Chris

Chris,
The steps involved in taking the nut apart and reassembling really
aren't too difficult once you have done it.
First find a nice flat spot to work and lay out a towel or rag to
work on (the balls tend to roll around).
Unscrew the nut from the ball screw and catch any of the balls that
fall out on the towel. Check the screw for any balls that may have
stuck to it. If you have oiled or greased the screw the balls tend to
stay in the grooves. Remove the screws holding the ball return and
carefully lift it off. You may have to pry it a little. check inside
the nut to again see if any balls are stuck inside.
You now have the nut without any balls in it. This would be the time
to cut the slots if you are going to make up the anti-backlash nuts
I show on my web sight. Thoroughly clean the nut with some kind of
solvent.

To put the nut together. Slide it onto the ball screw. Carefully drop
the balls into the return hole at one end. Always drop them into the
same end. You will have to wiggle and turn the screw to get the balls
to line up until you get about a third of them in. Keep dropping them
in and slowly rotating the screw. Watch the hole at the other end. If
the balls start to come up hold them down with a small stick or rod.
You should be able to get all but about 10 or so in the nut. The
balls should be flush down inside the hole. Take the ball return and
put a small amount of grease on one half. Stick the remaining balls
in the grease then put the other half back on. Slide the ball return
back into the holes and put the screws back in. Now spin the nut a
couple of turns each way to make sure none of the balls were outside
of the ball return stops.
Sorry this is so long winded but you are now as experienced in ball
nut repair as I am.
Mike

Discussion Thread

madmike43613 2002-06-09 20:35:42 UTC Anti-backlash nuts kdoney_63021 2002-06-10 06:17:25 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts wayne_j_hill 2002-06-10 10:20:18 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts JanRwl@A... 2002-06-10 11:48:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Anti-backlash nuts kdoney_63021 2002-06-10 13:17:04 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts JanRwl@A... 2002-06-10 13:21:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Anti-backlash nuts Steve Ross 2002-06-10 16:09:46 UTC newbie question madmike43613 2002-06-10 19:36:59 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts Christopher Morse 2002-06-11 07:31:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Anti-backlash nuts kdoney_63021 2002-06-11 09:56:01 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts madmike43613 2002-06-11 14:05:12 UTC Re: Anti-backlash nuts