CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Two stepper on one spindle

on 2002-06-17 12:12:36 UTC
Hi Boris,

Well, I suppose one could do that. You'd need a second driver for the
additional stepper (don't try to drive two steppers from a single
driver), and another motor mount. You'd also have more inertia at no
extra charge (not a good thing)! I think I'd spend the money on a
bigger stepper. Are you running a chopping driver? If not, then
converting to one (usually requires a bipolar setup), or raising your
voltage if you do have one will help get all you can out of your motors.

I switched my old Sears/Sherline mill from MaxNC 4-phase drivers to four
G210's and 180 oz/in steppers, and even at 37V, boy can she move! No, I
don't need the 90+ IPM she'll do, but it's nice to have! Makes me start
thinking of adding limit switches, 'tho.

Now for a router, using a pair of steppers makes considerable sense.
The dual 'X' axis each get a stepper, and if desired, a "jack shaft"
between them keeps them in sync.

Alan KM6VV

Boris Maraž wrote:

> I have two equal steppers, which are not so powerful. Is it possible that I
> mount one stepper on each side of the spindle, so that I get more torque and
> speed? Steppers are connected on the same port on controller, but one has
> changed polarity so that turns in different direction.
>
> Regards
> Boris

Discussion Thread

Boris Maraž 2002-06-17 08:41:56 UTC Two stepper on one spindle Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-06-17 12:12:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Two stepper on one spindle