CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC

Posted by armartinus
on 2002-06-24 15:21:48 UTC
i bought a powersupply from Doug Fortune and can say that it is great,
doubled my top end speed and also Doug is a good guy ,got it to me in
record time . i am also using the gecko's 201's
Richard

you wrote.
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "testguy1234321" <serrs@i...> wrote:
> A friend of mine purchased an old Bridgeport Series I CNC off from
> Ebay last fall. We are just getting around to working on it. He
> already purchased the appropriate Gecko Drives (stepper type) and
> Gecko tweaked them to handle more amps if I remember right.
>
> He's purchased a phase converter for his shop. It's a 220AC to 3
> phase converter. I think it was about $350. We think this power is
> low quality though so he is trying to find how much it will cost to
> run 440AC (3 phase) from his irragation pump feed.
>
> Are we on the right road? We tried making the machine move (while
it
> was wired for 440) and the keypad etc was not responsive. He told
me
> he rewired the power supply stuff for 220 (there is a diagram on the
> mill apparently) and the keypad numbers were responsive, ie numbers
> came up on the LED. He still hasn't got the spindle spinning though
> and seems to be making humming noises. The phase converter
> instructions say something about putting a big motor on it to just
> spin. Also says something about the biggest motor has to be running
> before smaller motors. It seems the 440AC line from the pump is the
> way to go. Can someone comment on this?
>
> We will be gutting all the old controls in favor of a LinuxRT system
> running NIST's EMC through the Gecko Drives. We are Linux
programmers
> so this is something we *do* know something about. But should we be
> gutting the power system to? In favor of something like this
> http://web.cuug.ab.ca/~fortuned/cnckits/ ?
>
> Thanks for any help or comment
> -Scott

Discussion Thread

testguy1234321 2002-06-24 15:02:33 UTC help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC armartinus 2002-06-24 15:21:48 UTC Re: help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC Carey L. Culpepper 2002-06-24 15:47:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC vavaroutsos 2002-06-24 23:13:28 UTC Re: help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC bjammin@i... 2002-06-25 03:43:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC JanRwl@A... 2002-06-25 17:59:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: help - mill project - Bridgeport Series I CNC